Total payments industry deals worth $2.9bn were announced globally for January 2022, with the $355m venture financing of Bolt Financial being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 32.1% over the previous month of $4.3bn and a drop of 59.4% when compared with the last 12-month average of $7.2bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 20.51% with 62 deals in January 2022 when compared to the last 12-month average of 78 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $2.19bn in January 2022.
payments industry deals in January 2022: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 35.6% of the overall value during January 2022.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $1.04bn, against the overall value of $2.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of January 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Activant Capital Group,BlackRock,CE Innovation Capital,H.I.G. Growth Partners,Invus Opportunities,Moore Strategic Ventures and Schonfeld Strategic Advisors $355m venture financing deal with Bolt Financial
2) The $303.18m acquisition of Sezzle by Zip
3) Afore Capital,CUNA Mutual Group,Encore Bank NA,Gaingels,Gopher Asset Management,RiverPark Ventures,Tarsadia Investments,Valar Ventures and Volery Capital Partners $140m venture financing deal with Petal Card
4) The $125m venture financing of iTrustCapital by Left Lane Capital
5) eFounders,Eight Roads Ventures,General Atlantic,Index Ventures (US) and Tiger Global Management $114.11m venture financing deal with Spendesk
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.