Total payments industry deals worth $2.5bn were announced globally for May 2021, with the $503m acquisition of BillingTree being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 46.7% over the previous month of $4.63bn and a rise of 11.3% when compared with the last 12-month average of $2.22bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 13.56% with 67 deals in May 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 59 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $1.07bn in May 2021.
payments industry deals in May 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 56.1% of the overall value during May 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $1.38bn, against the overall value of $2.5bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of May 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Repay Holdings’ $503m acquisition of BillingTree
2) The $250m venture financing of Better World Technology Pvt. by Sodexo and SoftBank Vision Fund II
3) Bond Capital Management, Coatue Management, Kaszek Ventures, Pantera Capital Management, Paradigm (US), QED Investors, Tiger Global Management and Valor Capital Group’s $250m venture financing of The Badger TechnologyS.A.S.
4) The $250m acquisition deal of SimplexCC by Nuvei Technologies
5) Altair Capital, Group 11, Harel Insurance Investments and Financial Services, Migdal Insurance and Financial Holdings, MORE Investment House and Zeev Ventures’ venture financing deal with Sunbit for $130m.