The $750m venture financing of Chime Financial was the payments industry’s top venture financing deal as total deals worth $3.2bn were announced globally in August 2021, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 67.2% over the previous month of $1.92bn and a rise of 130.9% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $1.39bn.
Comparing venture financing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $1.24bn. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $1.24bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for payments industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in August 2021 was the US with 17 deals, followed by the UK with eight and India with five.
In 2021, as of August, payments venture financing deals worth $17.23bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 373.3% year on year.
payments industry venture financing deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five payments industry venture financing deals accounted for 66.2% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments venture financing deals stood at $2.12bn, against the overall value of $3.2bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry venture financing deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Dragoneer Investment Group,General Atlantic,Sequoia Capital Global Equities,SoftBank Vision Fund 2 and Tiger Global Management $750m venture financing deal with Chime Financial
2) The $400m venture financing of OPay Digital Services by 3W Capital,Longzhu Capital ,Meituan Dianping,Redpoint China Ventures.,Sequoia Capital China,SoftBank Ventures Asia,SoftBank Vision Fund II and Source Code Capital
3) Amplo,Coatue Management,Dragoneer Investment Group,Insight Partners,Ribbit Capital,Sequoia Capital India,Steadfast Capital and Tiger Global Management $370m venture financing deal with BharatPe
4) The $304.7m venture financing of Shanghai Meixin Health Technology by Boyu Capital Consultancy,China International Capital and Eli Lilly Asia Fund (LAV)
5) Altimeter Capital Management,Avid Ventures,BlackRock Funds Services Group,Dragoneer Investment Group,Durable Capital Partners,Fidelity Management & Research,General Catalyst Partners,Latitude (UK),Spark Capital Partners,TaL Capital,Target Global and Whale Rock Capital Management $300m venture financing deal with Rapyd Financial Network (2016)
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.