The $510m venture financing of Varo Money was the payments industry’s top venture financing deal as total deals worth $2.8bn were announced globally in September 2021, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 38.1% over the previous month of $4.54bn and a rise of 66.3% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $1.69bn.
Comparing venture financing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $1.04bn. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $1.02bn.
In terms of volumes, Asia-Pacific emerged as the top region for payments industry venture financing deals globally, followed by North America and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in September 2021 was the US with 14 deals, followed by the UK with four and India with four.
In 2021, as of September, payments venture financing deals worth $20.8bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 378.9% year on year.
payments industry venture financing deals in September 2021: Top deals
The top five payments industry venture financing deals accounted for 51.5% of the overall value during September 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments venture financing deals stood at $1.45bn, against the overall value of $2.8bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry venture financing deals of September 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Berkshire Partners,BlackRock,Declaration Partners,Eldridge Industries,Gallatin Point Capital,HarbourVest Partners,Lone Pine Capital,Marshall Wace,The Rise Fund and Warburg Pincus $510m venture financing deal with Varo Money
2) The $288.33m venture financing of Bolt Financial by Hedosophia
3) Accel,Bessemer Venture Partners,Coatue Management,Corner Ventures,General Catalyst Partners,Latitude (UK),Thrive Capital and Tiger Global Management $250m venture financing deal with Melio Payments
4) The $200m venture financing of Wave Mobile Money by Founders Fund,Partech Africa SLP,Ribbit Capital,Sam Altman,Sequoia Heritage and Stripe
5) 1835i Ventures,DST Global,G Squared,Lone Pine Capital,Salesforce Ventures,Sequoia Capital China and Vetamer Capital Management $200m venture financing deal with Airwallex