The $450m venture financing of Checkout was the payments industry’s top venture financing deal as total deals worth $2.04bn were announced globally in January 2021, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 249.3% over the previous month of $584.04m and a rise of 356.9% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $446.53m.
Comparing venture financing deals value in different regions of the globe, Europe held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $1.06bn. At the country level, the UK topped the list in terms of deal value at $930m.
In terms of volumes, Asia-Pacific emerged as the top region for payments industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Europe and then Middle East and Africa.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in January 2021 was the Singapore with four deals, followed by the India with three and the UK with three.
In 2021, as of January, payments venture financing deals worth $2.04bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 988% year on year.
payments industry venture financing deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five payments industry venture financing deals accounted for 79.8% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments venture financing deals stood at $1.63bn, against the overall value of $2.04bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry venture financing deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Blossom Capital, Coatue Management, DST Global, Endeavor Catalyst, GIC, Greenoaks Capital Management, Insight Partners and Tiger Global Management’s $450m venture financing of Checkout
2) The $400m venture financing of NU Pagamentos by Dragoneer Investment Group, GIC, Invesco, Kaszek Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Sequoia Capital Operations, Tencent Holdings and Whale Rock Capital Management
3) Hanwha Asset Management’ $300m venture financing of Grab Financial Group
4) The $300m venture financing of CashDash by Avid Ventures, Coatue Management, Durable Capital Partners, Entree Capital, FJ Labs, General Catalyst Partners, Latitude Partners, Oak HC/FT Partners, Spark Capital, Tal Capital Group, Target Global and Tiger Global Management
5) Eurazeo Growth, Sprints Capital Management and Wellington ManagementLLP’s venture financing of PPRO Financial for $180m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.