Led by $450m venture financing of Checkout, total payments industry venture financing deals worth $1.43bn were announced in Europe in Q1 2021, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 203.4% over the previous quarter and a rise of 323.9% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $337.32m.
Europe held a 31.36% share of the global payments industry venture financing deal value that totalled $4.56bn in Q1 2021. With a 24.78% share and deals worth $1.13bn, the UK was the top country in Europe’s venture financing deal value across payments industry.
In terms of deal activity, Europe recorded 35 deals during Q1 2021, marking an increase of 40% over the previous quarter and a rise of 94.44% over the last four-quarter average. The UK recorded 15 deals during the month.
Europe payments industry venture financing deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five venture financing deals accounted for 79.5% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments venture financing deals stood at $1.14bn, against the overall value of $1.43bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five payments deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Blossom Capital, Coatue Management, DST Global, Endeavor Catalyst, GIC, Greenoaks Capital Management, Insight Partners and Tiger Global Management’s $450m venture financing of Checkout
2) The $300m venture financing of CashDash by Avid Ventures, Coatue Management, Durable Capital Partners, Entree Capital, FJ Labs, General Catalyst Partners, Latitude Partners, Oak HC/FT Partners, Spark Capital, Tal Capital Group, Target Global and Tiger Global Management
3) Eurazeo Growth, Sprints Capital Management and Wellington ManagementLLP’s $180m venture financing of PPRO Financial
4) The $120m venture financing of Blockchain Luxembourg by Access Industries, Eldridge Industries, GV Management Co, Kyle Bass, Lakestar Capital, Lightspeed Management Company, Moore Strategic Ventures and Rovida Advisors
5) Eldridge Industries and JPMorgan Chase’s venture financing of PPRO Financial for $90m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.