Total payments industry deals worth $4.28bn were announced globally for March 2021, with the $597.41m venture financing of Stripe being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 524.5% over the previous month of $685.35m and a rise of 34.6% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.18bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 73.33% with 78 deals in March 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 45 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $1.91bn in March 2021.
payments industry deals in March 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 51.8% of the overall value during March 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $2.22bn, against the overall value of $4.28bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of March 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Allianz X, AXA, Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust, Fidelity Management & ResearchLLC, National Treasury Management Agency and Sequoia Capital’s $597.41m venture financing of Stripe
2) The $595.62m acquisition of E-surfing Pay by China Telecommunications
3) The $595m merger of Cipher Mining Technologies and Good Works Acquisition
4) The $230.65m acquisition deal of Latitude Financial Services Australia Holdings by Shinsei Bank
5) The Rise Fund’s acquisition deal with Airtel Mobile Commerce for $200m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.