Total payments industry cross border deals worth $5.3bn were announced globally for September 2021, with the $2.73bn acquisition of Paidy being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 85.8% over the previous month of $37.68bn and a rise of 9.4% when compared with the last 12-month average of $4.88bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a rise of 21.88% with 39 deals in September 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 32 deals.
In value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with cross border deals worth $3.57bn in September 2021.
payments industry cross border deals in September 2021: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 73.8% of the overall value during September 2021.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $3.94bn, against the overall value of $5.3bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry cross border deals of September 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PayPal Holdings $2.73bn acquisition deal with Paidy
2) The $468.87m acquisition of Bitfield by Northern Data
3) Hedosophia $288.33m venture financing deal with Bolt Financial
4) The $250m venture financing of Melio Payments by Accel,Bessemer Venture Partners,Coatue Management,Corner Ventures,General Catalyst Partners,Latitude (UK),Thrive Capital and Tiger Global Management
5) Founders Fund,Partech Africa SLP,Ribbit Capital,Sam Altman,Sequoia Heritage and Stripe $200m venture financing deal with Wave Mobile Money
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed cross border deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.