Total payments industry cross border deals worth $5.3bn were announced globally for September 2021, with the $2.73bn acquisition of Paidy being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 85.8% over the previous month of $37.68bn and a rise of 9.4% when compared with the last 12-month average of $4.88bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a rise of 21.88% with 39 deals in September 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 32 deals.
In value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with cross border deals worth $3.57bn in September 2021.
payments industry cross border deals in September 2021: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 73.8% of the overall value during September 2021.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $3.94bn, against the overall value of $5.3bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry cross border deals of September 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PayPal Holdings $2.73bn acquisition deal with Paidy
2) The $468.87m acquisition of Bitfield by Northern Data
3) Hedosophia $288.33m venture financing deal with Bolt Financial
4) The $250m venture financing of Melio Payments by Accel,Bessemer Venture Partners,Coatue Management,Corner Ventures,General Catalyst Partners,Latitude (UK),Thrive Capital and Tiger Global Management
5) Founders Fund,Partech Africa SLP,Ribbit Capital,Sam Altman,Sequoia Heritage and Stripe $200m venture financing deal with Wave Mobile Money