Total payments industry cross border deals worth $36.2bn were announced globally for August 2021, with the $29bn acquisition of Afterpay being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 2015.2% over the previous month of $1.71bn and a rise of 2053% when compared with the last 12-month average of $1.68bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a rise of 13.79% with 33 deals in August 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 29 deals.
In value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with cross border deals worth $34.29bn in August 2021.
payments industry cross border deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 96.5% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $34.91bn, against the overall value of $36.2bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry cross border deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Square $29bn acquisition deal with Afterpay
2) The $4.7bn acquisition of IndiaIdeas.com by PayU
3) Paysafe Holdings UK $441m acquisition deal with SaftPay
4) The $400m venture financing of OPay Digital Services by 3W Capital,Longzhu Capital ,Meituan Dianping,Redpoint China Ventures.,Sequoia Capital China,SoftBank Ventures Asia,SoftBank Vision Fund II and Source Code Capital
5) Amplo,Coatue Management,Dragoneer Investment Group,Insight Partners,Ribbit Capital,Sequoia Capital India,Steadfast Capital and Tiger Global Management $370m venture financing deal with BharatPe