Total payments industry cross border deals worth $1.1bn were announced globally for January 2022, with the $303.18m acquisition of Sezzle being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 48.8% over the previous month of $2.05bn and a drop of 81.4% when compared with the last 12-month average of $5.65bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a flat growth with 38 deals in January 2022 when compared to the last 12-month average of 38 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with cross border deals worth $443.68m in January 2022.
payments industry cross border deals in January 2022: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 65.05% of the overall value during January 2022.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $685.26m, against the overall value of $1.1bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry cross border deals of January 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Zip $303.18m acquisition deal with Sezzle
2) The $114.11m venture financing of Spendesk by eFounders,Eight Roads Ventures,General Atlantic,Index Ventures (US) and Tiger Global Management
3) Advanced Mining Group $105m acquisition deal with VBit Technologies
4) The $100m venture financing of Global Processing Services(GPS) by Mission Engine and Temasek International
5) Alpha JWC Ventures,Global Founders Capital Management,Insight Partners and Tiger Global Management $62.96m venture financing deal with Spenmo
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed cross border deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.