North America’s payments industry saw a rise of 80.00% in deal activity during March 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Allianz X, AXA, Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust, Fidelity Management & ResearchLLC, National Treasury Management Agency and Sequoia Capital’s $597.41m acquisition of Stripe, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 27 payments industry deals worth $1.91bn were announced for the region in March 2021, against the 12-month average of 15 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in March 2021 with 19 transactions, representing a 70.4% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with six deals, followed by private equity deals with two transactions, respectively capturing a 22.2% and 7.4% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, venture financing was the leading category in North America’s payments industry with $993.54m, while M&A and private equity deals totalled $760.64m and $152.3m, respectively.
North America payments industry deals in March 2021: Top deals
The top five payments deals accounted for 88.01% of the overall value during March 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments deals stood at $1.68bn, against the overall value of $1.91bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of March 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Allianz X, AXA, Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust, Fidelity Management & ResearchLLC, National Treasury Management Agency and Sequoia Capital’s $597.41m venture financing of Stripe
2) The $595m merger deal with Cipher Mining Technologies and Good Works Acquisition
3) 9Yards Capital, Avenir Growth Capital, DST Global, Early Capital, Green Visor Capital ManagementLLC, Greycroft Partners, Insight Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Tiger Global Management, Tiger Management and Worldpay’s $170m venture financing of Flutterwave
4) The $165.57m acquisition of BankCard USA Merchant Services by Quisitive Technology Solutions
5) Great Hill Partners’ private equity deal with Jumio for $150m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.