Asia-Pacific’s payments industry saw a rise of 50.00% in deal activity during September 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by PayPal Holdings’ $2.73bn acquisition of Paidy, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 24 payments industry deals worth $3.6bn were announced for the region in September 2021, against the 12-month average of 16 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in September 2021 with 20 transactions, representing an 83.3% share for the region.
In second place was private equity with three deals, followed by M&A deals with one transactions, respectively capturing a 12.5% and 4.2% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in Asia-Pacific’s payments industry with $2.73bn, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $855.72m and $16.54m, respectively.
Asia-Pacific payments industry deals in September 2021: Top deals
The top five payments deals accounted for 93.5% of the overall value during September 2021.
The combined value of the top five payments deals stood at $3.37bn, against the overall value of $3.6bn recorded for the month.
The top five payments industry deals of September 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PayPal Holdings $2.73bn acquisition deal with Paidy
2) The $200m venture financing of Airwallex by 1835i Ventures,DST Global,G Squared,Lone Pine Capital,Salesforce Ventures,Sequoia Capital China and Vetamer Capital Management
3) Accel,Amasia Ventures,Goat Capital and Tiger Global Management $150m venture financing deal with Xendit
4) The $150m venture financing of Ascend Money by ANT Group,Bow Wave Capital Management and Charoen Pokphand Group
5) D1 Capital Partners and Lavender Hill Capital Partners $138m venture financing deal with Xtransfer